Position: Professional Officer and Authorised Person
Reporting to: Executive Officer - Dental Council of NSW
Contract: Temporary [Commitment/hours vary]
Hourly rate: $125
Closing date: 31 January 2023
About the Dental Council of NSW
The Dental Council of New South Wales (the Council) is a statutory body established to manage complaints about the health, performance and conduct of dental practitioners and students in NSW.
The Professional Officer assists with the implementation of the functions of the Council in accordance with the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW) (the National Law (NSW)) by providing expert advice in relation to the management of health, conduct and performance matters. Broadly, this involves:
- Advising the Council, staff, panels and committees on a range of matters relating to contemporary dentistry practice in Australia
- Undertaking functions as the Council's delegate for the initial assessment of complaints, counselling practitioners and conducting other interviews as directed.
The Professional Officer will also be appointed to undertake the role of an Authorised Person.
This Authorised Person role assists with the implementation of the functions of the Council in accordance with the National Law (NSW) through the inspection of premises/practices.
The National Law (NSW) allows the Authorised Person to undertake the following duties in relation to the practice of the health profession:
- enter and inspect the premises
- request records be produced
- inspect, take copies of, or extracts or notes from, the records and/or seize the records
- examine and inspect any apparatus or equipment
- take photographs, films or audio, video and other recordings
- require any person on the premises to answer questions or otherwise provide information.
Please refer to the Position Description for further information about the role.
- Current registration as a dentist in Australia with no restrictions and relevant professional experience and training.
- Thorough knowledge of the legislative and regulatory framework and approved standards and guidelines for dental practitioners in Australia. Ability to apply legislation.
- Excellent organisational skills, the capacity to successfully manage competing priorities, maintain attention to detail and meet deadlines.
- High level written and verbal communication, interpersonal, consultation, collaboration and stakeholder management skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to research and critically analyse issues and provide reports and advice.
- IT skills including strong Microsoft Office based computer skills
Directions for applicants
1. Your application should include:
- a resume
- brief response to the selection criteria
- an indication of your availability for the role
- the names of two referees and their contact details.
2. Please email your application marked attention to Colin Borg to email@example.com
Contact Colin Borg, Executive Officer, on (02) 9219 0205 or firstname.lastname@example.org